Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
May 18, 2024
Organize Today
Learn more about organizing your workplace!

Click Here
Labor Headlines

US labour news headlines from LabourStart

Mercedes workers in Alabama vote 56 to 44 against unionization
AL Mercedes Workers Lose First Union Election, Vow to Fight On
Video Game Execs Are Ruining Video Games
Univ CA unionized workers authorize leadership to call for a strike over protests
Baltimore bridge: Crew trapped on ship seven weeks after bridge collapse
Action Center
What To Do If You Are Injured
Updated On: Oct 16, 2007

At Work. If you are injured at work, you are either covered by L & I insurance or by the employer’s insurance that L & I oversees. Do not let the employer have you put your injury on the Cement Masons’ insurance. That is fraud and it could get you in trouble. 

  • If you are injured at work, tell your foreman immediately, even if it is just a cut – it could get infected.
  • If you are taken to a doctor, make sure you tell him that you were injured at work. He will start the appropriate paperwork.
  • Make sure you alert your doctor to the chemicals and materials you have been exposed to and/or working with - e.g. silica, Portland cement, etc.  It can make a difference in your treatment and rate of recovery.
  • If you have a time-loss injury, make sure you inform the Union Hall. They can be an invaluable ally if any problems arise. They will also inform you of your rights, which is very important for you to know.
At Home.  If you are hurt off the job, you will use your Cement Masons’ and Plasterers’ insurance. Do not try to use L & I. That is fraud.

 Additional Help.  The following organizations can be of assistance - financially, and getting you back to work quicker.

  • If you cannot work for some length of time, call our Health and Welfare office at (206)441-7574, ext. 3312. If your benefits are active, you may be eligible for monetary compensation. 
  • Project Help - (206)281-9555 or (800)255-9752.  Project Help assists workers who file claims against Washingtons industrial insurance programs.  Their services are free and they are there to help you with their vast expertise.  Project Help is a cooperative effort between the Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO, and the Washington State Employer Community.
  • Center of Occupational Health and Education - (425)656-5020,   The COHE program at Valley Medical Center works with healthcare providers to assist injured workers in preventing disability and returning to work.


Copyright © 2024, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

661955 hits since Jul 24, 2007

Top of Page image